Now Playing Tracks

Textiles Evaluation

Technically I have 3 final outcome samples because the blue and red one is two together. Two different colour schemes which I put together because they look good together, I didn’t at the time realise that by doing so I would then need to produce another piece (oops).

I chose the Gary Hume piece for my colour palette. There was a small mix up with the shade if colour as when I asked Kim if we had to stick to the exact shade she said no, but Katie later said that it is best as it was a design brief (which I hadn’t realised). Which is why the mustard colour was added to the red and blue piece, I was trying to bring it back to the colour palette, which I think worked quite well.

I was inspired to use felt after looking at artist Mary Clare Buckle, who loves using felt in her work. I have used felt in my work before and I do like the texture of it. I decided to have each of the six parts layered as three to give a raised surface because every rubbing I took was a raised surface.

I used a lot of hand sticking in the work which included a running stitch and particularly hand couching, this was because I felt I had a lot more control over the couching by hand than by machine and it allowed me to use a triple thread (three threads in one needle) which I did to give the piece a more mixed palette look.

Each of the six parts has 3 toothpicks hand couched on. What I think is interesting about that is the fact that each part has the toothpicks arranged differently, they are arranged in a different pattern associated with the rubbings. 6 parts, 6 rubbings.

I decided to surface mound them as I thought that would look best, I also wrapped the mustard wool around toothpicks to link each part together better.

I feel this really worked for me because it is neat and clean which I wanted. It is also quite detailed when you look closely at it. If I where to do the piece again I would definitely use the exactly colour palette because on reflection I do think it would have been better due to being a design brief,

The second piece, I literally threw together because it was last minute and I did not have a lot of time to do it. I used one I had started but not finished, which was the word textiles and a male and female logo overlapping. This was done using the free machine embroidery technique whip stitch, Which I really liked but it is so time consuming. I then attached it to another surface which was made by dropping ink onto a piece of material, which I then applied a very spaced out running stitch to using yarn. Lastly I added some of the mustard coloured wool in the same way I applied the yarn.

I think I need to added some pale blue to this piece, maybe in the form of paint to finish it off. In truth I don’t like the second piece, I think because it was a rushed piece. Maybe I will if I add the blue, who knows. I do know that if I where to do this one again it would look nothing like what it does and more like the first piece, as that was the initial plan.

To Tumblr, Love Pixel Union